« Home | 3 years today » | thy mercy » | The Heart of Calvin » | MLK jr. on the church » | a prayer »

secondary

In the life of the Christian I think it is essential for one to prioritize their beliefs. I want to always strive to put Jesus and His cross at the center of all I believe and do, and to see that while any other doctrinal issue might be important, it must not take the primary position that belongs to the cross. Now you could make a good argument that those secondary issues help us truly understand the cross, but for now, I'll just stick with what I said.

All of this to say that I really appreciated the following quote - even if it is aimed at a secondary issue. (which I'm still not sure if it really is a secondary issue...)

"What the Arminian wants to do is to arouse man's activity: what we want to do is to kill it once for all---to show him that he is lost and ruined, and that his activities are not now at all equal to the work of conversion; that he must look upward. They seek to make the man stand up: we seek to bring him down, and make him feel that there he lies in the hand of God, and that his business is to submit himself to God, and cry aloud, 'Lord, save, or we perish.' We hold that man is never so near grace as when he begins to feel he can do nothing at all. When he says, 'I can pray, I can believe, I can do this, and I can do the other,' marks of self-sufficiency and arrogance are on his brow." - C. H. Spurgeon






spurgeon is a gangster.

Labels: ,